Friday, October 22, 2010

Cooking with the colours of the flag

Hi my name is Cathy, and I am a food addict... For those that do not know me personally, I love a lot of things in life; food is abnormally high on my list. Since the move to Italy I have experienced a reborn love of fresh flavours; pizza, bread, pasta, bread, oils, vinegars, bread, cheese, gelati and bread.


So adjusting to my new diet, I joined a sweat less gym and told myself it would all be ok; provided I must exercise off what I put in, in order to not be confused with a snow man when winter comes around. (The last thing I need is Italian children throwing carrots and raisins at me in -5 degrees!) I have now curved my love of bread, pizza is a treat, I always share my gelati with my son and I attempt to monitor my cheese intake. There is however, one dish that must reach our dinner table at least once a week; Insalata Caprese. Not many ingredients, and it is more preparing then cooking.







Follow these easy steps to feel as though you are part of the Gonzalez ritual...

  • Open the wine, pour a glass and sip, (or gulp, depending on your day). Now you are ready.
  • Slice the tomatoes into medium sized slices. We have been buying ours from the fresh markets at Viale Papiniano every Saturday.
  • Slice the Mozzarella in the same way. I was lucky enough to be able to try fresh Buffalo Mozzarella from Naples last week, and I much prefer it to normal Mozzarella, (our usual supermarket buy 65c). But normal Mozzarella will be just fine. Treated ourselves with a 3€ purchase for one ball of Salernitana (from Salerno south of Naples) Buffalo cheese this morning.
  • I also like to use virgin, cold pressed olive oil, (but the same applies, any olive oil will do, but because the flavors are so mild, delicate and balanced, a poor olive oil will affect the taste of the salad).
  • I also grow my own basil. I live in an apartment, so it’s not hard to grow your own basil, and it tastes 100% better than the force-grown stuff in most stores. Next, chop the basil coarsely.
  • Place the cheese and tomato slices on a plate alternately and sprinkle with the basil. Next, drizzle olive oil over and add salt and pepper to taste.
  • It is not part of the original recipe, but I quite like to spread some torn basil on the plate initially and a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar over the top.
  • I like a fair amount of salt with this salad, but not too much pepper. My husband prefers a fair amount of pepper, but not too much salt. (See how your mood is??) Serve cold.
  • I like to serve this as a side, my husband says he can eat just the salad alone!


Buon Apetito !

Ne voglio ancora: (neh voh-lio an-ko-rah) Is there any seconds?

1 comment:

  1. we wish we could join you for one of these delicious meals...you have always been such a wonderful cook! x miss you

    ReplyDelete